I honestly dont know why, but I feel pretty connected to this book. It shows how opposites attract, and thats probably one of the things that I live daily and love watching how they work. Gilgamesh and Enkidu remind me of an old chinese symbol, the yin-yang. And do you know were I see the yin-yang on a daily basis? Pretty much everywhere.
Lets start with my brother. We are total opposites. There is not a thing that we agree on, and when there is, we then notice we don't and start fighting again. Have you ever watch those episodes in The Fairly Odd Parents when the evil opposites of Cosmo or Wanda apear and are the exact different thing? Thats my brother and me. Even though he is not my twin, I'm pretty sure deep down he is my evil twin. Even though we seem like enemies, without each other, we would probably be working in McDonalds trying to figure out our life's. "Create his double, and let the two contend." I'm pretty sure that was what god was thinking when he made us siblings.
Enkidu is probably my favorite character. He reminds me of my grandfather. Not because of his hairy body or his animal like senses, but because he fought for what he stood for. In the book, when Enkidu said, "Take me to Uruk, the city of Gilgamesh, whose aura and power cannot be withstood", reminded me of my grandfather taking every challenge. And not the eating food contests or the wrestling fights my brothers and I did with him sort of challenges, but the ones where he showed us his feelings and how to use them correctly. I not once saw him cry, not even in the most terrible moments when even the strongest soldier would've cried. Nor did I ever know a person who had as many friends and knew the meaning of friendship as he did.
We may think that the books we read don't make sense, or don't ever connect with our personal life. I think the exact opposite. Even in the stupidest or craziest book you've ever read, like Twilight (wich was terrible by the way), you will always have a memory or something that will connect you to it. Even though Gilgamesh is a little bit odd, with all the dudes kissing and stuff, I did like how the book made me think and remember or connect with my personal life.
Lets start with my brother. We are total opposites. There is not a thing that we agree on, and when there is, we then notice we don't and start fighting again. Have you ever watch those episodes in The Fairly Odd Parents when the evil opposites of Cosmo or Wanda apear and are the exact different thing? Thats my brother and me. Even though he is not my twin, I'm pretty sure deep down he is my evil twin. Even though we seem like enemies, without each other, we would probably be working in McDonalds trying to figure out our life's. "Create his double, and let the two contend." I'm pretty sure that was what god was thinking when he made us siblings.
Enkidu is probably my favorite character. He reminds me of my grandfather. Not because of his hairy body or his animal like senses, but because he fought for what he stood for. In the book, when Enkidu said, "Take me to Uruk, the city of Gilgamesh, whose aura and power cannot be withstood", reminded me of my grandfather taking every challenge. And not the eating food contests or the wrestling fights my brothers and I did with him sort of challenges, but the ones where he showed us his feelings and how to use them correctly. I not once saw him cry, not even in the most terrible moments when even the strongest soldier would've cried. Nor did I ever know a person who had as many friends and knew the meaning of friendship as he did.
We may think that the books we read don't make sense, or don't ever connect with our personal life. I think the exact opposite. Even in the stupidest or craziest book you've ever read, like Twilight (wich was terrible by the way), you will always have a memory or something that will connect you to it. Even though Gilgamesh is a little bit odd, with all the dudes kissing and stuff, I did like how the book made me think and remember or connect with my personal life.

No comments:
Post a Comment